Phyllo Napoleons with Eggnog Pastry Cream
The Napoleon to rule all desserts! Creamy and flaky eggnog-flavored pastries naturally sweetened with Sugar In The Raw® and Stevia In The Raw®.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Share to:Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Pinterest
For the Pastry Cream:
- 2 tablespoons Sugar In The Raw
- 2 tablespoons Stevia In The Raw
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
For the Phyllo Layers:
- 1/4 cup Sugar In The Raw
- 1/4 cup Stevia In The Raw
- 1/2 lb. phyllo dough, thawed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- whole nutmeg, garnish
- In a medium bowl stir together sugar, stevia, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt. Add yolks and stir until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan bring milk to a simmer. Slowly whisk about half the milk into the yolk mixture, then whisk yolk mixture into remaining milk in saucepan. Place back on heat and, stirring constantly, cook just until thickened. Strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and stir in butter and rum. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of pastry cream and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- In a small bowl stir together sugar and stevia.
- Lay out phyllo dough in a stack on a flat surface and cover with a dry kitchen towel then a damp kitchen towel.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo in front of you, brush lightly with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar-stevia mixture. Place another phyllo sheet on top and brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar-stevia mixture. Repeat this layering until there are 8 layers of phyllo, then brush top layer with butter and sprinkle with sugar-stevia mixture.
- Cut phyllo lengthwise in half to make 2 long rectangles. Cut rectangles crosswise every 2 inches. Transfer as many of the rectangles as possible to a large baking sheet, leaving a little space between them. Nest another baking sheet of the same size on top so the phyllo rectangles are pressed between the baking sheets.
- Bake until browned and crisp 12-16 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely and repeat with any remaining phyllo rectangles, baking and cooling them completely.
- In a medium bowl beat cream until stiffly whipped. Stir pastry cream just until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.
- To assemble, lay ⅓ of the phyllo rectangles on a countertop in front of you. Spread a layer of pastry cream over each rectangle, then top with another phyllo rectangle. Spread another layer of pastry cream over phyllo, then top with a final phyllo rectangle (there should be 3 phyllo layers and 2 pastry cream layers).
- Dust each napoleon with a little nutmeg and serve immediately.