Triple Chocolate Molten Peppermint Cookies
Chewy chocolate holiday cookies with natural sweetness (Sugar In The Raw Organic White Sugar®) and peppermint pastry cream baked in. Drizzled with peppermint white chocolate.
Servings: 15 cookies
Prep Time: 40 minutes (plus 1 hour cooling time)
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Share to:Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Pinterest
For the Pastry Cream:
- 3 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup Sugar In The Raw Organic White Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the Cookie Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar In The Raw Organic White Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Choclate Drizzle:
- 4 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
- Peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- In a small saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Whisk in butter, vanilla, and peppermint. Scrape into a bowl and press plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Add eggs one at a time and mix until combined. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- With machine on low speed, add dry ingredients a little at a time. Mix just until a dough forms. Divide dough into 2 balls and flatten into round discs. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, roll out each piece of dough to ¼” thick. Using a 2½” cookie cutter, cut out as many rounds as possible, rerolling dough up to 3 times and cutting out more rounds.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place 2 teaspoons pastry cream in the center of half the cookies (there will be pastry cream left over). Top each with the remaining cookies, sealing edges. Transfer to prepared baking sheets placing 6 cookies on each sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until set and dry to the touch, switching oven racks halfway through baking. Let cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Bake remaining cookies.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat white chocolate in 30-second bursts, stirring after each, until melted. Drizzle cookies with white chocolate and sprinkle with peppermint candies.
- Cookies are best the day they’re made.